Mission

A good friend once said to me: "If a door opens in front of you - get off your ass and dance through it...laughing."

I'm trying, Nancy!

Thursday, November 8, 2012

More felted slippers

I wanted to try the Patons Classic wool because it's slightly cheaper than the Cascade 220, can be purchased at my local Michael's, and doesn't need to be rolled into a ball. I also wanted to try making slippers in 2 colours, just to see what they look like.
Michael's didn't have a huge colour selection in stock, but I was feeling quite lazy, so instead of going to another yarn supplier, I took what they had.
Charcoal and magenta. Well. I wasn't expecting the 2-toned experiment to be a success anyway, so why not?
The soles of the slippers are knit using 3 strands held together. This makes the bottoms nice and cushy and also good & sturdy, but it was a pain to make 3 separate balls of wool before I could get started. I found a You Tube video to show me how to do something called Navajo knitting. Using this technique you can work with three strands of wool at one time without having to wind 3 separate balls of wool. Nothing short of brilliant! And easy too! For those inquiring minds that need to know.

Navajo Knitting

So, here are the worms, knitted up and ready to be seamed.




And the finished felted slippers.




I would have to call the 2-tone experiment a rousing success!




They turned out fuzzier than the other pair and at first I didn't really like that, but they're growing on me.
Oh, and I love these buttons! I think I'm developing a button fetish...and to think that I got rid of a whole biscuit tin full of them a few years ago...Aaarghhh!




Next up is a crocheted (no sew!) pair.

6 comments:

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

The Yarn Shop down the street from me has close, :( I go to Michaels often. :)

Should I just go for it and buy a couple of skeins of yarn from Michaels, some big needles and make a little bag? That is how I roll sometimes.

Cheryl said...

Yes! I can't wait to see your creation!

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

I just watched the youtube. Very cool information.

Do you sew any pieces together with yarn and an overhand stitch?

Cheryl said...

Oh, and watch for the word "Superwash" - you don't want that. Only 100% wool. And no plant materials...bamboo & cotton don't felt.

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

Thanks Cheryl!

Cheryl said...

Yes, lots of sewing. NOT my thing at all. That's the part that has me looking for non-sew versions. Your seams don't have to be pretty because they'll be invisible after felting anyway, just as long as they're not too bulky.