Mission

A good friend once said to me: "If a door opens in front of you - get off your ass and dance through it...laughing."

I'm trying, Nancy!

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Felted Ballet Slippers Part 1

Sunday morning at the crack of noon, I was at Gina Brown's waiting for them to open so I could buy supplies to make the felted slippers in the previous post. I was in the store for more than half an hour before I even got around to looking for what I went there to buy. Ooh, aah, I'm like a kid in a candy store when I'm in a yarn shop. Just look at all this wonderful yarn! (I didn't have time to focus properly because I was trying to be sneaky)




I finally got down to business and picked out some beautiful cranberry- coloured wool, some gorgeous matching buttons and new needles, because I don't own any as large as what the pattern calls for. When I got to the counter, I asked for clarification on the needle sizes and the nice lady advised that I had the wrong size, and also the wrong kind of wool and pointed me in the right direction. Of course the right section didn't contain any cranberry wool, so I had to change the plan. I chose some beautiful turquoisey/teal instead. Sadly, there were no matching buttons. I'm not sure why I can't get a photo with a true colour in the blue green range, but I've tried 3 different cameras, and the results are all the same. Trust me, this is much brighter than shown. This one was taken outside (in a snow bank!) in an effort to get natural light. Still not good. I've given up as you'll see by the wide range of colours in the rest of the photos.




I have never bought wool in a skein like this before, and I wasn't sure how to attack it. Again, the nice lady was very helpful. She showed me how to unfold it, and how to find the end, and explained that I could loop it around a kitchen chair while rolling it into a ball. Then, I guess because it's reasonable to assume that someone who doesn't know how to unfold a hank of wool also doesn't know how to roll wool into a ball, she demonstrated that also. Really!
I rushed home with my rather expensive bag of goodies and got right to work. (20 bucks for the needles! Yes, bamboo are nicer to work with than metal, but sheesh!)
The grey chair is exactly the right size to hold the (bright blue) wool.




I guess I should've paid more attention during the ball winding demo, I ended up in a (royal blue) knot.




Cast on, work 3 rows, rip it out. Cast on again, work 8 rows, rip it out. Cast on yet again, work 39 rows, rip it out...
Okay, so maybe I should SLOW THE HELL DOWN and read the pattern in its entirety before galloping ahead. Yes, good idea.
Cast on, managed to work all 47 rows without messing up, and now have the first little (green) piece completed. Only 7 more to go...
Um, does this look like a shoe to you?





2 comments:

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

Okay, so you found some cute buttons, and is that the right size needle in the photo? If so, that is one big needle. I think I can do this...I have a yarn store 3 blocks away...

Cheryl said...

Well, the buttons are the right colour anyway, not nearly as pretty as the cranberry ones that I wanted. Yes, the needles are enormous (10mm!). I found them kinda awkward to work with, and I was really conscious about leaving big gaps in my work. Turns out not to matter at all. Once they're felted everything smooths out anyway, even my bad seaming is invisible.
I hope you try them. I think my next pair will have different coloured soles and tabs. Oh yes, I'll definitely be doing this again.